Monday, October 12, 2015

Owl Journal - Ngaere Bennets

Yay its good to be back on the Imagine If Design Team.  I have been playing with some of the products and here is my first project. A cool art journal using Jo's large chipboard owl.






I began by altering the large chipboard owl. 




I took off his wings and cut out his pupils.  Then using texture past through the gears stencil from Imagine If I covered the entire thing to add depth and texture.  I then painted the whole thing with black gesso.



I took a pair of wings out of the Angel Wings pack and a couple of cogs from the Large Cogs Set and painted them with black paint.



Once the black paint had dried I drybrushed everything using brown and gold acryclic paint.

For the eyes I painted circles gold and glued gear diecuts on the top of the painted circle.  I glued the cogs over the top of the circles and then glued these behind the eye holes.  I painted the pupils black and glued them on to the center of the cogs.  I painted the eyebrow pieces brown and glued them back on around the eyes.  I then filled the eyes with glossy accents to give them some shine.  I took the beak piece and glued small cardboard circles around the edge of the beak,painted it yellow and glued it on to the face.



I took some chipboard letters to spell the word "Art" and glued them to the front of the owl.

I used more diecuts to make the feathers on the chest and glued the new wings on to the body.



Once the owl was finished I found an old book and took the insides out.  I then covered the book with tissue paper and various diecuts which I then painted black.  Once dry I drybrushed the whole thing with Lumiere Pewter paint.  I glued the owl to the front of the cover and then I bound watercolour paper signatures into the cover to complete the journal.






I now have an awesome good sized art journal with 50 pages in it, just waiting to be filled with artistic goodness.  Hope this project helps you to look at things a little differently and to think about changing things up a bit. 

5 comments:

  1. I love how you've changed it up. Looking good

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome,loved the way you altered the owl. The cover is great too, love the technique

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, love, love it. Heaps of techniques and details.Amazing work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your style. Great imagination.

    ReplyDelete